Impact of HIV associated neurocognitive disorders on activities of daily living and its association with depression in outdoor patients undergoing HAART

    Published on:April 2016
    Journal of Young Pharmacists, 2016; 8(3):279-283
    Original Article | doi:10.5530/jyp.2016.3.19
    Authors:

    Savita Saini*, Kiran Vijay Barar

    Department of Pharmacology, Sardar Patel Medical College, Bikaner, Rajasthan, INDIA.

    Abstract:

    Objective: The prime objective was to determine the impact of HIV-associated neurocognitive disorders on activities of daily living and its association with depression. Material & Methods: A prospective cohort study was conducted in ‘80’ HIV positive patients, registered at ART Centre of PBM and AG Hospital, Bikaner. A test battery comprising of three scales was used i.e. International HIV Dementia Scale (IHDS), Activities of Daily Living(ADL) scale and PRIME-MD Patient Health Questionnaire(PHQ-9) to diagnose cognitive dysfunction, dependence in ADL and depression respectively. Results: The 32.50% (n=26) of the patients were diagnosed to have cognitive dysfunction (IHDS Score<10) while remaining 67.50% (n=54) of the patients were normal (IHDS Score>10). Out of these cognitively impaired patients, n=2 patients were found to be dependent in >2 ADL while remaining patients were able to perform their ADL independently. No significant association was found between depression and cognitive dysfunction. Conclusion: Patients having score of <10 on IHDS were further classified on the basis of dependence in ADL. The patients having high degree of depressive symptoms were more likely to have cognitive dysfunction but the results were not significant.

    Key words: HIV-associated neurocognitive disorder, Activities of daily living (ADL) scale, Patient health questionnaire (PHQ), International HIV dementia scale (IHDS), Asymptomatic neurocognitive impairment, Mild neurocognitive disorder, HIV associated dementia.

     

    Article Download

     

    Ad

     

    Navigation